Saturday, February 22, 2014

Baby Momma Drama

Please excuse the regularly scheduled education jargon as I interrupt with some Baby momma drama. 



This sweet, blue eyed monster is the Baby. He may be the smartest, sweetest, most tender hearted, random, caring, compassionate, strong willed Baby ever. He is a fierce competitor both athletically and academically. He is proof that big things come in small packages. 

As I reflect on what the last eight years of being Weston's momma entail I can't help but smile, then cry. Tomorrow he will be nine years old, which means he is half way to "adulthood." He has huge dreams of playing baseball for A&M and later becoming an engineer. I couldn't be more proud of his aspirations, but I really want to hold on to the little boy that he is now. 

As parents we memorialize all of our children's "firsts."  First smile, first tooth, first words, and first steps. Have you ever paused to think about their lasts? 

When will be the last time two little feet kick me in the back because the Baby has climbed into our bed well after midnight? When will be the last time he invites us to a school event? When will be the last time he climbs into my lap? When will be the last time he falls asleep on the ride home and I get to carry him to his bed? 

How will we know to hold on just a little tighter, make the moment last a little longer if we don't know it is the last? 

As I strive to be the most dedicated educational leader, I am reminded today of the need to find balance. Enjoy the work I do, but cherish the time I have with my family. 

I am blessed beyond measure to have the privilege of being momma, taxi driver, encourager, tutor, launderer, chef, doctor, nurse, cheerleader, and comforter to these two amazing boys. 


Happy, happy birthday, Baby! 

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyjq5SCbjQk



2 comments:

  1. My "baby" turned 20 on 2/26! Still many great firsts to look forward to--but also have done a lot of reminiscing on the past. I think reflecting on family & parenting enhances our roles as educators, too-we see the importance of nurturing, the incredible differences in personalities & interests, and the potential of each child whose lives we touch. Thanks for the reminder, Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a much better educator because I am a mother, and probably vice-versa!Thanks for reading & sharing.

    ReplyDelete